My Senior Year

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Tis the season!


So, as most people know, Easter is by FAR my absolute favorite holiday. I love everything about it... I love church on Easter Sunday, with lilies lining the front. I love all my memories of Easter Sundays-- the years that I was in youth group and had to get to church at 6:00 (which, at the time seemed ridiculously early) to help make the "Sonrise" (haha) breakfast. I love Easter dresses, the ability to finally wear white (yes, I follow that rule very carefully), and the promise of summer just around the corner. I love all the flowers that are in bloom. I absolutely love Easter Egg hunts. Sarah and I have been known to do them at other times throughout the year, just for fun. And, I really, really, really love Easter candy. Seriously, the way to my heart is through Easter candy. Luckily, my roommates have consistently provided me with these treats throughout the weeks leading up to Easter (until the Easter bunny brings me some on Easter morning) all four years at PC. There's a reason right there why I'm going to miss them all so much!!!

Anyway, I just figured I'd share a few of my favorite Easter treats (I have lots):

1. Cadbury Mini Eggs. I have Megan to thank for these becoming my favorite Easter candy!


2. Reese's Eggs... amazing.

3. Peeps. I know lots of people think they're "gross" but come on... marshmallows and sugar? Sounds like a great combo to me. Plus, they're fat free.

mmm... this is what I found when I googled "peeps." Not going to lie, my ideal husband would totally go for this...

I also enjoy the normal Cadbury eggs (you know, the ones filled with whatever that stuff is, as well as the caramel ones), Sour Patch bunnies, and Starburst jelly beans.

In case anyone is wondering, I was not able to follow through with my hopes of giving up sweets for Lent. Maybe next year...

Also, who doesn't love a good Easter story? (No, this isn't "The Easter Story" although it does involve church.) So, as everyone knows, my dad used to be the pastor at our church throughout my childhood and until I graduated from high school. Everyone who has been around my father for at least 5 minutes also knows that my dad has a flair for the dramatics. Well, this dramatic flair used to flourish around Lent/ Easter. Every year, he would get into character before the "Sonrise" service... i.e., he would wear his hooded robe and paint his palms red (I'm assuming to channel Jesus) and walk up from the graveyard to perform the service. As if the Easter performance weren't enough, one year he decided to do a series of monologues for our Lenten services. Instead of a sermon, he dressed up and delivered a monologue that he had written himself from the perspective of a certain Biblical character involved in the Easter story. My personal fav was the week that he dressed up as a Jewish tax collector (I think?) and he put on lots of bracelets/ jewelry, wore his robe and this headdress thing, and GLUED these curled tendrils (who knows where those came from) to his temples. Well, he got so into his monologue that when he shook his head, one of his curls fell off. I really thought my mom was going to kill my sister and me for laughing so hard. Tears were just falling down our faces as we tried to stay serious. That is probably by far my weirdest Easter memory... anyway, hope everyone has a good Holy week and a FABULOUS Easter on Sunday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment