My Senior Year

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Reality TV trashiness

Ok, I'll be the first to admit, I LOVE me some reality tv.  In fact, now that I think about it, I'm not sure that I ever consistently watch anything that isn't a reality show.  My favorites would be Real Housewives (I like New York and New Jersey best), Keeping up with the Kardashians (Bruce is a saint, that's all I'm saying), Jerseylicious, Wifeswap (classic), 19 Kids and Counting (the wedding episode is quite possibly the best reality episode to air, ever), 4 Weddings (kind of random, but some of those weddings are rough), and Say Yes to the Dress.  

Below is a video that Nance shared with me... these little kids reenact Keeping Up with the Kardashians.  I have to say, these kids are good, plus it's hilarious!  


The kid who plays Scott is DEAD ON.  For real.  They also have a New Jersey housewives one that is just as good.

Now, my most recent fav in reality tv would without a doubt be SISTER WIVES (I'd love to see those little kids act out that one!)  Now here's a show that from when I saw the first preview, I just had a feeling that this was going to be good.  Seriously, one of the most interesting things I've watched ever.  Sunday nights have become quite the anticipated nights at A3, where we all pile into Nancy's little room and watch Kody somehow convince 4 women that sharing him is a great idea.  Let me pause here and say, I don't really get Kody's appeal.  I'm not sure if it's his long surfer hair or his... interesting sense of humor, but regardless, the man has 13 children with his first 3 wives, and has recently taken on another wife and her three kids.  Now we all have our favorite wives... mine personally is Meri... his first, and only legal, wife.  I think Nancy likes Janelle because they're both pretty sassy.  I don't really think that my description of this show can do it justice, so here are a few prime quotes from some episodes:

"I like marriage!  And I'm a repeat offender... (our faith) likes to reward good behavior, so they figure if you're good with one marriage, you'll be good with two..." -Kody

"Love should be multiplied, not divided" -The show's tagline... after watching these episodes and some of the arguments that ensued, I'm not sure this was the best choice in wording

"I don't want to be kissing my girlfriend while my wife's in labor..." -Kody, the loyal husband to 3 at this point

"Girls, take turns playing with the daddy doll..." -Robyn, as the children are playing with their dollhouse, which of course isn't just your typical dollhouse... it's a polygamist dollhouse

I must say, good job, TLC!  You consistently turn out the quality shows that go beyond random celebrities doing stupid things for the camera.  You legitimately find these families, these obscure gems, that fascinate America to no end!  It started with Jon and Kate (unfortunately, we all know how that turned out... but don't try and claim that you didn't/ don't think those children are precious!)  Although there have been a few bumps in the road, a few shows that we could have done without (*cough, Little Chocolatiers, cough*), TLC remains on the cutting edge of reality tv.  Seriously... multiples, 19 Kids, polygamy... these are big issues!  Which brings me to my final Sister Wives quote, something that Kody told People magazine this week in response to the investigation that has ensued since the show's airing: "I just hope they don't put me in jail for loving four women."  I hope not either, Kody, because there's nothing I want more right now than to continue to watch you and your wives deal with the dramas of the polygamist lifestyle.

1 comment:

  1. i'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks this show is sooo intriguing!

    ReplyDelete