My Senior Year

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

What are you doing next year?

Being a senior in college, I encounter this question on a daily basis... EVERYONE seems to be really concerned with what I, along with everyone else who is graduating in May, am doing after graduation.  Now, as an early childhood education major, I have a pretty good idea of the type of job I'm looking for.  Some people seem to think that the current job market for teachers (or complete lack thereof) is going to significantly limit my job opportunities for next year.  Now, that's where I'm going to have to disagree... I personally have LOTS of job/ career/ life ideas, which I'm going to list here:

- Ideally, I'd LOVE to get a job teaching public school in a relatively good district in South Carolina.  So that's probably my first option... just in case that doesn't work out for me, I've come up with others.

1.  Nanny.  Specifically, Kelly Ripa's nanny.  Now I'm sure you're thinking, how random/ impossible!  Negative... just think about it.  What type of person would a rich/ famous family living in New York want to be their nanny?  Uhh, probably a young-ish, independent, unattached, RESPONSIBLE girl (that's me) who has a degree in early childhood education (this will be me!)  I mean, I see this as a. a great idea, b. a wonderful chance for me to get to live in New York City, and c. a great opportunity for Kelly (or some other celebrity) as well, because I would provide quality child care for a reasonable fee!

2.  Open my own salon with Sarah.  Again, this is another GREAT idea.  I realize that it would probably involve us having to go to cosmetology school or something, but we have it all planned out... we'd open up an upscale full service salon somewhere around or near the Columbia area.  There is definitely a market for this, and if Sarah and I know a lot about anything, it's hair!  I see my main role in this operation as probably running the salon/ keeping the books/ managing people... essentially, I'd be the Tabatha (as in Tabatha's Salon Takeover, duh.)  Sarah would be on the more... creative side.  As in, doing people's hair.  I'd prefer to do nails (only hands... I'd have to hire someone else to do the feet!)  Anyway, another legit idea, in my opinion!

3.  A more immediate possibility is to be a long-term sub... which, is significantly less exciting than the previous two options, but also something that I'm thinking I'd enjoy... the way I see it, I could potentially get a lot of experience in classroom time (hopefully in a good district) without having to do a lot of planning on my own OR dealing with all of those scary observations that first year teachers have to do all the time.  It's a win-win situation haha... plus, I could really do this anywhere, so I could live wherever I want and then start subbing.  

There are a lot more options (I'm actually keeping a list on the door in my room, which my friends add to regularly), so I'll continue to post as good ideas come up.  And feel free to offer your own suggestions!  Point is, I'm not that worried about it (which is kind of shocking, considering it's me).  I feel confident that God will lead me exactly where I need to go.  His plans are perfect, and I can't wait to see what they are!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Anna, God will lead you exactly where you need to go.
    If, by chance, you and Sarah decide to open an upscale salon, remember your cousins. Cam is in grad school at the moment and hopes to secure a counselor position in a couple of years. However, if that doesn't work out, she may be very available! This "beauty" stuff must be in the genes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my mom is right, you def need to count me in on helping out at this so called "salon"!

    ReplyDelete